I bet that if you were asked to describe a friend in just three words you could do it easily. You might say he was kind, generous and loyal. Or that she was fierce, driven and creative.
But would it be as easy to describe your business’ characteristics in the same way? Could you summarise your story in three words?
As entrepreneurs and business owners we invest SO MUCH TIME and effort in raising our profile, being seen, and becoming known …..without actually clarifying what we want to be known for.
As a small business operator you are, without doubt, the keeper of the key to this puzzle. You MUST be intentional about creating the brand story. Your audience’s perception of you will be largely – if not solely – constructed by you. Everything that happens before they work with you, as well as the experience during and after. As the saying goes, if you don’t tell your story someone else will.
Some questions to consider:
- Can you describe your business in three words?
- Do you aspire to be known for these three words?
- Do you believe your customers would use the same (or similar) three words ?
- If so, how can you continue to tell that story?
- If not, what needs to change for you to become the business owner and leader you want to be?
The truth MUST prevail. Lean in to the words and aspiration. Create space for your audience to see and feel the truth about who you are and what you stand for.
Don’t go manipulating the message to suit.